Moving will not change the amount of disability benefits you receive, but it may change what regional VA office your claim is filed at, depending on how far you move. There are certain steps to take when you move so that your new address is on file and you do not miss any important correspondence related to your benefits.

Determining the Correct VA Regional Office

Veteran Packing a Moving BoxAfter you move and get a new address, it is important to locate the VA regional office for your new location. If you move to a different state, the regional office will most likely change. It will also change if the state has more than one regional office and you are moving to a different part of the state. If this is the case, you will need to request that your claims file be transferred to the new regional office. If you are unsure about what regional office to have your file transferred to, consult with a VA benefits attorney for guidance.

Changing Your Address on File

There are several steps to take in order to change your address on file with the VA. After moving, you will need to change your address and contact information online in your profile. This is necessary in order to keep updated on your disability compensation, claims and appeals, and any other VA health care issues such as appointment reminders, test results, and other communications.

In addition to updating your address online at, you will also need to change your address by contacting the various departments directly. You will want to contact any department where separate records are kept for any services you use, such as:

  • Education benefits
  • Home loans
  • Veteran’s Mortgage Life Insurance
  • Foreign Medical Program

Contact a VA Benefits Attorney

Discuss your move with your attorney to make sure you've completed all the necessary steps and that the move won't cause problems with your claim.

If you have moved and need to change your address for your claim, contact the office of Sean Kendall, Attorney-at-Law for a free, no-obligation consultation. We will work to protect your legal rights and help maximize the benefits you deserve. Call us today at 877-629-1712 or use our online contact form to find out more.