Can I Get Help With My Car

Yes. Financial assistance in this instance comes in the form of a grant, and it is available to qualified* veterans to purchase a new or used automobile (or other conveyance) to accommodate a veteran or service-member with certain disabilities that resulted from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated during active military service. The grant may also be paid out if disabilities are a result of medical treatment, examination, vocational rehabilitation, or compensated work therapy provided by  the Department of Veterans' Affairs (VA).

The grant is given directly to the seller of the automobile for the total price (up to $18,000) of the automobile. You can only receive this grant once in your lifetime. 

*What disabilities must you have to qualify for the grant? 

  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both feet
  • Loss, or permanent loss of use, of one or both hands
  • Permanent impairment of vision in both eyes to a certain degree, or
  • Severe burn injury

The VA will also adapt vehicles for those who qualify for the grant AND who have ankylosis (immobility of the joint) of one or both knees or hips resulting from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated by active military service.

You can apply for the grant by completing VA Form 21-4502, Application for Automobile or Other Conveyance and Adaptive Equipment, and submitting it to your local VA regional office. 

For more information, call 1-800-827-1000 or visit the VA website.

Not only should you involve a lawyer when your claim is denied, but you should also hire one who is experienced and knowledgeable in the VA claims process. Talk to us today, fill out a brief form or give us a call (303) 449-773