Sean Kendall Veterans Law Firm

The Short Answer to the Question "As a Dependent Can I get Job Training or Educational Assistance?" is Most Likely Yes. Military Family VA Benefits Dependents Education Assistance

The Dependents' Education Assistance (DEA) offers job training or educational assistance to eligible dependents and survivors. You can receive up to 45 months of educational assistance, which can be applied to on-the-job training, certificate and degree programs, and  apprenticeships. 


To be considered you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • a veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability. The disability must have been generated during active service in the military
  • a veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence
  • a service member either missing in action or captured by hostile forces while in service
  • a  service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power
  • a service member who is hospitalized or receiving treatment for a permanent and total disability connected to their service, and who are likely to be discharged because of that disability


There are other eligibility requirements to keep in mind as well. If you are a son or daughter, you must be between 18 and 26 in order to receive the educational or job training assistance offered. Certain circumstances, however, will allow you to use this service before 18 or after 26. Marriage does not preclude you from this service. If you are a spouse, your window of eligibility ranges from 10 to 20 years. Make sure to take advantage of these services while they are available to you!

To apply, complete VA form 22-5490Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance. Send it to the VA regional office that has jurisdiction over the school or program you plan to attend.

The VA backlog, of course, can greatly increase the wait times for these types of services. If you are a spouse or dependent with trouble obtaining important VA benefits, contact us.