The VA uses a Compensation and Pension Examination (C&P exam) to confirm a diagnosis of a condition such as PTSD, prove its service-related, and assess the severity of the condition. The C&P exam is not used to provide treatment but is used as part of the qualification process for VA benefits. Once the C&P exam is completed, there are several things to do that can help with your case. If your claim is denied, a Veterans benefits attorney can help with appealing PTSD your case.

What to Do After a C&P Exam

Doctor and Veteran Shaking HandsAfter the C&P exam, there are various things you can do to protect your rights and help with your case if it is denied, such as immediately writing down notes about the exam. If you brought a witness with you to the exam, ask them to write down notes as well. You will want to include as many details as possible such as:

  • Your thoughts about the exam
  • The amount of time of the exam
  • What evidence you provided to the examiner regarding your PTSD
  • If the examiner listened to your responses and gave any feedback
  • Any other observations you feel are pertinent

C&P Exam Results

If you had your PTSD C&P exam done at a VA facility by a VA physician, your results will be available within 24 hours through the MyHealtheVet website. Results will not be in your medical records if the exam was conducted by a private physician. To view results for exams done by a private physician, you will need to request a copy of your VA claims file or C-File. If you are unable to access your results online for C&P exams done by a VA physician, you can obtain a copy of them by going in person to a VA facility.

It can often be difficult to diagnose PTSD since it is a mental health disorder rather than a physical disorder. If you feel that the C&P examiner gave you an unfair evaluation and it resulted in you not being qualified for benefits, consulting with a Veterans benefits attorney can help you navigate the proper procedures to ensure your claim is handled fairly, and you can appeal the decision.

If you decide to challenge the results of the C&P exam, you can submit evidence to use against the findings done by the examiner by doing the following:

  • Submitting an independent medical opinion from a private doctor who has treated your
  • Providing buddy statements from family and friends that support your PTSD claim
  • Writing a personal letter to the VA explaining the reasons why the C&P exam was inadequate in its findings

Contact an Experienced Veterans Benefits Attorney

If you have been denied PTSD disability benefits after a C&P exam, contact the office of Sean Kendall, Attorney-at-Law, for a free, no-obligation consultation. We may be able to help you with the appeal process for any disputes you may have with a claim determination and protect your legal rights. To schedule an appointment, contact us online or call our office at 877-629-1712.


Post A Comment