Many Veterans have erectile dysfunction as part of a service-connected disability. The VA gives various ratings for this condition in order to determine the amount of disability compensation you will be eligible to receive for this affliction.

Causes of Erectile Dysfunction for Veterans

Frustrated Man in the Bedroom With Erectile DysfunctionErectile dysfunction (ED) is a common physical disability among male Veterans. There are many reasons why a Veteran may be experiencing erectile dysfunction. In order to receive compensation, it must be proven that the condition is a result of a service-connected disability. ED may be considered a service-connected disability for the following reasons:

  • It is a secondary effect of a service-connected condition such as PTSD.
  • It is a side effect of a medication used to treat a service-connected condition such as depression, anxiety, or diabetes.
  • It is due to a physical injury or trauma sustained during service that occurred to the lower body, groin, penis, or testicles.

ED Ratings Given By the VA

Disabilities are rated according to what level of disability you are experiencing. The rating determines your compensation amount. Ratings range from 0% or no disability to 100% or full disability. Unlike other disabilities, erectile dysfunction is not given a rating schedule but instead, uses the following to determine compensation:

  • Code 7520 Partial removal of the penis. This gives a rating of 30%.
  • Code 7521 Glans removal. This gives a rating of 20%.
  • Code 7522 Erection difficulty due to physical deformity. This gives a rating of 20%.
  • Code 7523 Atrophy of testicles due to reduced testosterone. This gives a rating of 20% if both testicles are affected and 0% if it affects only one.
  • Code 7524 Removal of testicles. This gives a rating of 20% if both testicles were removed and 0% if only one was removed.

If your ED is due to a reason other than one of the above, and you are considered 0% disabled, you may still be eligible to receive disability compensation. There is another category called Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) which gives monthly compensation for the “loss of use of a creative organ.”

Proving Eligibility

If you suffer from ED, you will need to have the following to prove that you are eligible for disability compensation:

  • Evidence that you suffer from ED
  • Evidence that your ED is a service-connected disability
  • Medical nexus from an expert that shows there is a connection between the ED and a service-connected disability.

Contact an Experienced Attorney

If you are suffering from a service-connected disability, the office of Sean Kendall, Attorney-at-Law, can help determine if you are eligible for compensation and answer any questions you may have about your disability claim. Contact us today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.


Join The Conversation
Post A Comment