Benefits for Unemployed Veterans
A 2011 law offers up to 12 months of retraining assistance for veterans. To qualify, a veteran must be
- 35 to 50 years old;
- Other than dishonarable discharge from the service;
- Not eligible for other educational assistance, such as the GI bill or Vocational Rehabilitation;
- Not receiving individual unemployability for service connected disabilities;
- Not receiving job training from a State.
- Veterans that have used up a program of VA vocational rehabilitation but are unable to find a job may be eligible for an additional training from Voc Rehab under this program.
Current assistance is $1,473 a month, however, this program lasts only thorugh March 31, 2014.