Q: I am a dependent or survivor, what benefits am I entitled to?
The VA provides a variety of services to widows, spouses, children, and parents of service members. A common service provided dependents is Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), which is a tax free compensation granted to eligible survivors. Other services include:
- Survivors' pension: a tax free monetary benefit paid to low-income survivors of service member killed in line of duty
- Dependents' Educational Assistance Program: support provided to dependents seeking on-the-job training or additional schooling
- Home Loans
- Educational and Vocational Counseling
- Beneficiary Financial Counseling
- Commisionary and exchange privileges
- Fiduciary services
For more information on what you may be eligible for as a dependent, visit the VA's website. Widows and other dependents deserve their benefits. A report in 2005 claimed that roughly 2 million poor veterans or their impoverished widows are missing out on their pensions. If you are a veteran or widow, you need to know your rights and your eligibility for various compensations/services. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us.